Tuesday 17 July 2012

BECKHAM DIDN'T MAKE THE OLYMPICS TEAM BECAUSE OF HIM, NOW HE SAYS "forget Beckham?"



For given him the opportunity to be at the London Olympics ahead of English soccer legend, David Beckham, Micah Richards last night vowed to give Stuart Pearce a golden reward for his Olympic faith in the Manchester City defender.
Richards accepted Pearce’s ­invitation to join his Great Britain squad despite being overlooked by Hodgson for England’s Euro 2012 adventure, declining the opportunity to go on the standby list.
Richards said he answered yes to the man who passed on Hodgson’s message.
“When Stuart gave me the call and asked me if I was keen to be part of it, I said ‘definitely'.
“People say it’s not a Euros, it’s not a World Cup, but it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and when he asked me I jumped at the chance.
“To say to your kids and grandkids that you represented your country at the ­Olympics is massive.
“With Stuart, he’s not afraid to do his own thing. When he took charge of England against Holland in February he changed a lot of faces.
“Here a lot of people were talking about David Beckham, but Stuart has gone with what he thought would be right for the team. I think that’s a sign of a good manager, and I do believe in the future he will get the England job.
“I said back in February I didn’t want him to get it too soon because I didn’t want people to crucify him, but as he gets more experience I think he’ll definitely get the job. Stuart gave me my debut at City and he’s been amazing for me.
“Of all my managers, he’s had the most belief in me. He made me captain of the England Under-21s, then when he got the job for the seniors against Holland he played me.
“Now he’s picked me for GB and it shows the massive faith he has in me. It would be nice to repay it.
“When we lost against Holland I was gutted because I wanted to do it for him. All the players are the same.”
Richards added: 
“Playing with Ryan as captain is great, while I’d compare Joe to someone like Andres Iniesta, because he knows how to use the ball.
“I’ve heard people saying they’re not going to watch the Olympics but it’s probably been one of the best ­experiences of my life. Meeting up with the team, seeing the women’s squad as well – it’s amazing.
“We’re all so excited to get started. Brazil will be a great test, when you look at their squad and players like Neymar, Pato, Sandro, Rafael and Hulk.
“But that’s what you play for, to come up against the biggest teams.
“I think we’re all confident. We have to be realistic. We’re a new team and we can’t expect to gel together ­immediately, but we’ve got cracking players. We don’t fear anyone and we’re ­confident in the players we’ve got here.”




No comments:

Post a Comment