Tuesday 6 March 2012

HERO MOTHER SHIELDS HER KIDS FROM HURRICANE WITH HER BODY - Saves her kids but, loses both legs!


The Deckers

Stephanie Decker knew the only way to save her children from the terrifying hurricane sweeping away their home was if she shielded them with her body, and she did not hesitate to do this...after the hurricane her both kids were save, but she wasn't that lucky - she lost both her legs in the process...

She was determined to save her kids.
hear her:

"I knew my leg was barely attached or it was severed. I didn't know which but I knew it was bad. If I didn't get help soon, I was going to bleed out,"

"It was nothing I expected," she said.
"I never, ever thought in a million years my house would be blown away."

Not only was her home lost, but both of her legs had to be amputated late Friday - one just below the knee, the other just above it.

"I assumed I was safe and I heard the roar like a train, and I heard it behind me, and I knew it was coming," she recalled today. "And it was so loud that I knew that I needed to do something different. I knew staying put wasn't going to work."

So Decker acted. She dashed down into her home's basement with son Dominic, 8, and daughter Reese, 5. As the house began to disintegrate she tried to shield them with a comforter.

"My daughter said, 'Mommy, I don't like this,' and I said, 'I know honey,'" Decker said. "I could see the wind. I could see the window blew out and the house burst."

She was crushed under the cascade of debris.

"I remember the whole thing," she said. "I stayed conscious the whole time. I couldn't afford [to pass out]. They needed me. They had to have me, so I had to figure out what to do. And my son is a hero. He went to get help."

Both her legs were smashed. She'd also suffered a punctured lung.

"After ... Dominic left," she said, "I realized I couldn't get out because I actually used the comforter I tied with them as a tourniquet. I knew I was cut."

She's in Louiville hospital ky and responding well to treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment